Photography, photo styling and a love for things old, unusual and beautiful.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A new blogging adventure!


©ACG LLC; Mark Galbreath photographer, Tina Elkins stylist
Welcome to Then, There and Now! I have been working with cameras for a long time, and now I want to share my photography in both a personal and public way.  Although I have photographed many things, my favorite subjects often involve flowers and all things antique or vintage.  Peonies, poppies, tulips or foxgloves- I love them all.  In objects I crave the patina of time, the charm of old pottery and the chipped history of paint (often it is chipped pottery too!). I seek out old places both real and imagined, places that I want to spend time in, places with a story to tell. For me, each photo is a visual essay.

I live with most of the things you see in my pictures, and I am making a project of photographing more of the things that I live with. Photographing antiques is a kind of time travel, an opportunity for the past and present to meet. When photographed, old things get a new life and our modern eyes get the opportunity to appreciate  little bits of the past, reminders of a time before our own and of life lived differently.

Although I have a serious second life as a painter (that’s another blog!), I have lived my professional life through the lens of a camera. I have been styling and sometimes photographing beautiful, interesting things for greeting cards over twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment