Photography, photo styling and a love for things old, unusual and beautiful.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Once in a great while even I take off for a few days! My family and I recently took a vacation to Michigan's upper peninsula to hike through the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore along the south shore of the truly mighty Lake Superior. I have never seen such beautiful and dramatic water in the great lakes! Unlike my "backyard lake", Lake Erie, Superior is magnificently green and blue with rolling and crashing waves that look like the ocean. We hiked along the dramatic coastline, and along the way I tried to make a little "greeting card art" too.  I was walking along and noticed a clump of beautiful thick moss that had been disturbed. I picked it up an saw that it looked like a heart- light bulbs went off and I "helped" the shape out a little until I had a perfect heart. I can't help it- 22 years of working in photography has permeated every cell of my body and I just can't help seeing greeting card shots!

My day job as a photo stylist keeps me hoppin' and I do lots of things for that gig that I wish I could post.  I cannot post them here until they are published as greeting cards first; this is necessary but a little heartbreaking since I have been doing some really fun and lovely stuff, but I'll share my outtakes, like these, when I can.

What a unique place- this is a dune meadow near the cliffs that overlook Lake Superior. I have gone a little nuts with the photo filters in these shots, but I think they enhance the mood nicely.

One of the few floral things I saw was this tansy in a crock jar on display at Old Fort Michilimackinac located at the base of the Mackinac bridge in Mackinaw City. I really hate the smell of tansy, but it has great charm as a cottage or medicinal garden flower. The unfortunate smell (and yes, some folks like it's scent, I know) is offset by it's traditional use and true value as an insect repellent! If you have seen very many displays of open hearth or other early cookery, you will know that those open, un-screened windows and doors in early kitchens meant lots and lots of flies. I don't think the tansy really worked much to repel them when used as a bouquet on the table, but it might have helped as a sachet in drawers or placed in cupboards. Tansy has gotten popular recently along with a variety of  fill type flowers (September weed, baby's breath and wax flowers to name a few others) that have been seen in lots of editorial photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment